Posted on: May 31, 2018 | by: Paul Darden
Bicycle Storage Tips from the Experts
Bicycles are surprisingly fragile. And if it isn’t stored correctly, you will start to notice it in the quality of your ride. In order to keep your bicycle in tip-top shape for the season, it is important to store your bike properly. Keep reading this post to find the top bike storage unit tips!
Bicycle Storage Tips to Keep Your Ride Smooth
- Clean Your Bicycle: Before storing your bicycle, it is important to take the time to clean it off. Any grime, salt, dirt or bugs left on your bicycle can cause it to rust while in storage. Clean your bicycle with a soft brush to clear off any dust or dirt. Make sure you get the frame, gears and the chain. Clear off any remaining dirt with a dust-free rag.
- Inflate the Tires: If a bike is left resting on one particular spot while it is in storage, the weight of the bike can cause a dead spot to form on the tire. Keeping the tires on the bicycle properly inflated will help to protect dead spots from occurring.
- Use a Lubricant on the Cables: Prevent rust from forming on your cables by applying a lubricant before storage.
- Use Bicycle Hooks: The best way to store your bicycle is by using bike hooks for your storage unit. Bicycle hooks will reduce the chance of misshapen tires altogether. Bicycle hooks will also keep your bicycle off of the ground and away from other items in your storage area that may damage it.
- Rethink Your Storage Spot: Unless they are stored in your home, bicycles can be rather difficult to store. This is largely because bicycles are one of the most commonly stolen items. The high value of bicycles combined with the difficulty of locking them up makes them an easy target. If you are storing your bicycle outdoors always lock it up and use a bicycle cover to protect it from the elements. Storing your bicycle outdoors is not an option for long-term storage.
- Consider a Storage Unit: If you are unable to store your bicycle indoors, consider a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental will keep your bicycle out of the way of items in your garage that can fall and damage it and out of the eyes of thieves. If you are looking to store your bicycle long-term, consider a climate controlled storage unit rental.
Find Self Storage Has Bike Storage Tips
If you are only storing a bicycle and a few other garage items, consider the 5×5 storage unit. Our larger 5×10 and 10×10 storage units are ideal when storing multiple bicycles as well as other large garage items.
Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Plano, TX, Dallas, TX, Carrolton, TX, Leesville, LA and in Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Our storage facilities have both climate control and traditional storage options. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!