Self Storage Packing and Storage Tips
We’ve gathered plenty of tips and tricks for packing and self storage, all of which are designed to help you get the most out of your storage unit rental. We have drive-up storage to make packing your unit a breeze and climate-controlled storage to keep your belongings safe. Helpful U-Haul truck rentals are available at some of our locations.
Keep your items in the best condition possible by following these packing and self storage tips and tricks!
Check out our storage facilities near you in Texas and Louisiana!
- Estimate the number of boxes you’ll need as well as packing material (packing paper, bubble wrap, foam shipping noodles), tape, and markers. Many of our locations sell packing and moving supplies so we can help with this.
- Use strong, new, or almost new, boxes.
Inventory You Items
- Create an inventory list of your items and keep copies in a safe place away from the unit.
- Identify which items you may need to access while they are in storage.
Prep Your Space
- Measure and estimate the collective packing size of the items you plan to store. You may need a large storage unit once you realize the number of boxes you’ll be storing.
- To keep your items off of the floor, cover it with pallets.
Arrange Boxes for Convenience and Safety
- Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds (don’t overpack)
- Account for extra space to provide ventilation and ease of access.
- Plan for anything that you may need frequently to be placed in the front of your unit.
- Place boxes that contain fragile or delicate items on top of boxes packed with heavier, sturdier things.
- If you’re storing business files, leave a pathway for ease of access.
- List contents on all four sides of boxes and seal tightly with good quality packing tape.
Hazardous Materials and Perishable Items
- It is prohibited to store flammable, hazardous, or combustible materials (paint, paint thinner, gasoline, propane, or paint).
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers, snowblowers, trimmers, or any other equipment that you may be storing.
- You are also prohibited from storing perishable items, such as food or even pet food.
- Large pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- China, crystal, porcelain, and any other breakable items should be carefully wrapped in packing paper and/or bubble wrap and boxes should be marked “FRAGILE.”
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized to store linens and small items. Even fragile items can be stored in drawers if wrapped properly.
Appliances and Electronics
- Large appliances make excellent packing space for blankets, towels, bedding, table linens, and even heavy clothing.
- To prevent accidental damage, place TVs and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
Sofas, Chairs, and Loveseats
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space.
- Cover everything with furniture covers or pads to prevent dust.
- Don’t place sharp or heavy objects on upholstered or leather furniture.
- Wrap furniture legs in furniture covers or pads to prevent damage.
- If you need to store any furniture that can be broken down, keep small parts in plastic bags and tape them to the item.
- Break down tables that have removable legs to save space. Cover with furniture covers or pads to prevent damage.
- Never cover or wrap wood items with plastic. It can leave a residue that causes permanent damage.
Beds and Mattresses
- If you store mattresses on their sides, prop them up so that they stand straight. This will prevent them from bending and becoming out of shape and lumpy.
- If you are breaking down a bed frame, be sure to keep all small parts in a plastic bag and tape it to the frame.
- Wipe metal items such as bikes, tables, and tools with machine oil to prevent rust and corrosion.
- We hope these tips help you and relieve some of your stress. Remember, call us with any questions. If you need additional car storage,
- RV storage, or boat storage facilities, we can help with that too!
- We’re always here for you and your belongings!
Reserve Your Storage Unit Today
Reserve Your Storage Unit Today!
Looking for a self storage unit near you? Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Dallas, TX, Carrollton, TX, Plano, TX, Leesville, LA and Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Reserve a storage unit today!