Posted on: October 16, 2017 | by: Paul Darden
How to Downsize from a House to an Apartment
Moving is a very overwhelming process. When you’re downsizing, moving becomes even more stressful. Sorting through your belongings to decide what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to sell or donate is a process in itself. Try these tips to have a stress-free move!
- Be Prepared to Part with Your Belongings: It is important to understand that you will most likely have to let go of a significant amount of your items. Any items you have duplicates of, like spatulas or pots and pans, or haven’t used in a long time, should not be moved to your downsized home.
- Get Rid of the “Maybe” Pile: This can be hard to master, but when you’re tasked with downsizing your home it will be necessary. Unless the item is sentimental, if you aren’t sure if you’ll need it at your new home, don’t bring it. Instead, donate the item, sell it or give it to a friend. If it happens that you do need that item, you can simply get another. But, there will be far more items you originally said” maybe” to that you did not end up needing.
- Create an Inventory of the Items You’re Bringing: If you’re moving in with someone, create a list of the items you wish to bring to your new place. This is a smart way to keep from having duplicates of items at your new place. Bonus tip: Kill two birds with one stone and use the list you submitted for renter’s insurance.
- Measure the Space: Before you move your large sectional or extra chairs, make sure they’ll fit. Measure the space and the items you want to fit into the space to make sure you aren’t over-stuffing the room. Moving items, you will not need is not only a waste of time, it can also be a waste of money.
- Store Items in a Storage Unit: If you are unable to permanently part with your items, consider storing them in a storage unit. This is a good option if your downsized move is temporary. A storage unit will keep your items in a safe and secure location until they are needed again.
How to Declutter Your Downsized Home
A downsized home will not be able to fit the same amount of clutter as your old home did. Prevent your home from getting overrun with clutter by storing items in a storage unit. Seasonal decorations, clothes and items that do not fit in your home can easily be stored in a storage unit.
Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Plano, TX, Dallas, TX, Carrolton, TX, Leesville, LA and in Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Interested in learning more about our storage unit options? Contact us today!