Posted on: December 17, 2020 | by: Chloe Moore
How to Make More Room in a Small House: Space Hacks
There are many reasons why you may have chosen a smaller home to call your own. Maybe it made more sense for your income. Perhaps you want to save for retirement or to travel. Or, maybe you just don’t need the extra space that a larger family uses. Regardless of why you chose a smaller house, you still want to live comfortably and not trip over clutter constantly. Follow our tips below for some space saving ideas for your small areas.
Space Saving Ideas
- Mount your TV to the wall. If you’re short on floor space, a bulky entertainment center will only dwindle it down further. Thankfully, televisions are much thinner and lighter than they used to be, so you can save floor space by mounting it to the wall or above the fireplace.
- Uses strategic storage. While bookshelves can look lovely, they can also take up a lot of useable area. Opt for using built-in bookcases or floating shelves instead. There is also a wide variety of modular furniture available now that you can use as both seating and storage — and many items you can arrange to fit your space as though it was made custom, just for you!
- Hang items. A small home means a small kitchen, and that generally means a limited amount of counterspace. Clear items off your counter by hanging items like utensils and mugs from magnetic strips and peg boards mounted to the wall.
- Over-the-toilet shelving. Many homes have small bathrooms, and if you own a small home, you’re sure to have one. Adding over-the-toilet shelving will give you some additional storage and keep things from cluttering the floor.
- Mini-shelves instead of nightstands. Like bookshelves, a nightstand can take up quite a bit of useable floor area. Opt out of using bulky side tables like these and mount floating mini-shelves instead.
- Utilize wall sconces. Floor lamps may be pretty, but wall sconces offer just as much light and don’t take up nearly as much space. You can also use them to make additional space in the bedroom in place of nightstand lamps.
- Purchase a dining room table with a leaf or collapsible ends. If you can make your dining table smaller on a whim, you can create more room to move while you’re not using it. Now you can move about your kitchen-dining area with ease until you have a guest.
- Cut down on clutter. If you don’t use an item regularly, it’s probably just taking up needed space. Consider getting rid of things that aren’t useful or used often by donating them or moving them into storage.
Maximizing Space in a Small House with Find Self Storage
If you live in Texas or Louisiana, Find Self Storage can help you create space in your small home. As both a storage facility and self storage management company, we know what it takes to deliver the best service to you. Whether you just need to store a few items to clear out space in your home or you need to store all your belongings while you’re waiting on your dream home, we have the space you want. Use our handy storage calculator to see exactly how much space you need for all your items. Just enter all the items you want to store, and we’ll suggest a unit size for you. We even make your monthly payment easy by offering online payments.
Ready to make some space in your home again? Reserve a unit today!