Posted on: July 2, 2019 | by: Chloe Moore
5 Steps to Take When You Inherit a House
If a loved one has recently passed, like your mom, dad or close relative, you may have inherited a house from them. While this is a very generous gift, it can invoke a lot of emotions when you are already trying to cope with your loss. The best thing you can do during this time is to keep moving. Read this blog for 5 essential steps after inheriting a house.
What to do When You Inherit a House
- Make sure all bills are paid: This probably feels like the last thing you want to do right now, but it is important to make sure all bills are up to date. Even though the house has just gotten into your ownership, it is important to make sure all utilities are paid keep up with the mortgage if there is one.
- Take it slowly: This is a big project to take on when you’re still processing a loss. If you are able to wait and start sorting through the house in a few weeks once you have had time to process, consider doing that. The last thing you want is to make a rash decision you may regret later on.
- Have the house appraised: Before you can decide the next course of action, it is important to get the house appraised. While you may know what it was once purchased for, more than likely the value has fluctuated since then. Once you know the value of the house, you will be able to determine if you want to live in it, sell it or rent it out.
- Ask for help: All throughout this process, never be afraid to ask for help. It can be a lot for one person or one family to take on, and it is likely that other people that also knew your loved one want to help as well.
- Take it room by room: If you decided to sell or rent out the house, then unfortunately, the next step is to start cleaning out the house. Sorting through all of those memories can be very difficult, and it is important to take the time to cry, laugh or take a break when you need it. In the end, you may find that combing through your loved one’s belongings can actually make you feel closer to them.
A Self Storage Unit Can Help with the Process
There may be some boxes or rooms that you’re just not ready to sort through yet. We understand. If you’re on a tight time crunch with wanting to get the house ready to be sold or rented out, consider storing items in a storage unit until you’re ready to go through them. This can help to not only alleviate stress on you, it also can help to prevent you from getting rid of something you may wish you didn’t in the future.
Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Dallas, TX, Carrollton, TX, Plano, TX, Leesville, LA and Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Reserve a storage unit with Find Self Storage today.