Posted on: January 25, 2021 | by: Chloe Moore
The Size of Storage Space: Find the Unit that’s Right for You
Choosing a storage size is one of the most crucial parts of a storage rental decision. If you’re temporarily downsizing while you wait for your dream home and need to store most of the contents of your home, you’ll need a large storage space. However, if you only need a place to store some seasonal items, you can opt for something smaller. You’ll also want to consider how often you’ll need to get into your space — if you’ll need to frequently get in the space to get things out, you’ll want space to move around. Let’s take a look at how to decide on the right storage size for you.
What Size Storage Unit Do I Need?
The first thing you need to do is take an inventory of all the items you plan to put in storage. If it’s just a few boxes, you can start by looking at a 5×5 unit. But if you need to store multiple rooms-worth of furniture, you’ll need to take the overall size of all the items into account — you’ll likely need to start looking at a 10×15 unit and go up from there.
You’ll also want to take climate control into account. If you have sensitive items like electronics, musical instruments or wooden furniture, you’ll need to store them in a conditioned space. You may find that when you choose a facility, a conditioned storage unit in the size you need is not available. Should that be the case, you’ll want to look at the next size up to ensure that you have enough space for all of your possessions.
If you’re still unsure about what storage size you need, you can ask the facility for a tour. That way you can better visualize how your belongings will fit into the space. Once you’re comfortable with a storage unit that will work for you, you’ll need to pack your unit so there’s enough space for ventilation — so make sure you have a large enough unit that allows you to do that!
Storage Size Options
There are a variety of storage unit options, and every facility is a little bit different. However, there are some standard sizes that you can find at most storage facilities.
- 5×5 unit — At 25 square feet, this is typically the smallest space available at a storage facility — about the size of a small walk-in closet. This storage size is ideal for storing a few seasonal items, small pieces of furniture or several boxes.
- 5×10 unit — At 50 square feet, this is double the size of the smallest unit available and the size of a standard walk-in closet. Here, you can store more boxes, mattresses, a dresser and other small items.
- 10×10 unit — At 100 square feet, this is one of the most popular sizes for storage. This unit can hold most of the contents of a one-bedroom apartment including a mattress and a bed frame, large furniture and appliances.
- 10×15 unit — At 150 square feet, this size storage unit can fit the contents of a two-bedroom apartment including large appliances and furniture.
- 10×20 unit — At 200 square feet, you can fit the contents of a three-bedroom apartment or home in this storage space. It is also ideal for small business owners looking for commercial storage for excess inventory.
- 10×30 unit — At 300 square feet, this unit is one of the largest options available, although some facilities offer special units that can be bigger in size. With this storage space, you can fit the items from a four- or five-bedroom home such as major appliances, furniture and many boxes of items or a full-size vehicle. It’s also ideal for commercial businesses looking for additional storage space.
Find the Right Storage Size with Find Self Storage
At Find Self Storage, we want to make sure you find the storage size that’s right for you and your family. That’s why we offer helpful tools like our storage unit size calculator — simply plug in the items you want to store, and the calculator will suggest a size that matches your needs. Once you decide on a size that you need, you’ll need to find the right facility. We can help you choose a storage location as well. And for a deeper peace of mind, we can also assist in providing storage insurance so you can rest easy knowing that your belongings have an additional level of protection.
Get started with your ideal storage space by finding a Find Self Storage location near you!